Health and Safety Laboratory
The Health and Safety Laboratory (HSL) is Britain's leading industrial health and safety facility with over 30 years of research experience across all sectors. Operating as an agency of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), HSL supports their mission to protect people's health and safety by ensuring risks in the changing workplace are properly controlled. As well as delivering a comprehensive service to HSE, HSL is also able to offer their unique portfolio of skills and expertise to other public sector organisations and the private sector.
Scope of Work
HSL employs over 400 people including scientists, engineers, psychologists, social scientists, health professionals and technical specialists. The staff has a long track record of effective operation throughout the UK and beyond. HSL's capabilities encompass a wide range of topics including: fire, explosion and process safety; human factors and risk assessment; occupational and environmental health; safety engineering; work environment; and specialist photographic and technical services.
The services provided by HSL include:
- Research and development
- Specialist advice and Consultancy
- Forensic investigation into the causes of accidents
- Environmental and biological monitoring
- Assessment of levels of risk and investigation of their control
- Establishing realistic requirements for standards, and processes for meeting those standards
- Validation and certification
National and international cooperation
In order to enhance and promote its reputation and capabilities, the HSL is continually strengthening its links with scientific and technical organisations both nationally and internationally. Currently HSL has formal collaborative agreements with 20 scientific organisations in the UK and overseas and extensive informal networks throughout the world. HSL is designated as a WHO Collaborating Centre for Occupational Health and Safety Research.
HSL's collaborating arrangements include:
- InterLab Fomrn
- Partnership for European Research in Occupational Safety and Health (PEROSH)
- Healthy Work Matters Group (formerly known as the Sheffield Occupational Health
- Development Group -SOHDG)