Nemzeti Népegészségügyi Központ - Munkahigiénés és Foglalkozás-egészségügyi Főosztály (National Public Health Center - Department of Occupational Health)
The Occupational Health Department in the National Public Health Center is the successor of the Hungarian Institute of Occupational Health (OMFI founded in 1949), which went through several restructuring (e.g. operated within the National Labour Office (NMH) or the Office of the Chief Medical Officer). The National Public Health Center (NNK) is a central state budgetary body under the control of the Minister responsible for health. The duties of NNK in the field of occupational medicine and hygiene are fulfilled by the Occupational Health Department.
The Department is the basic institution of professional management, scientific research, training, continuing education, prevention in the area of occupational hygiene and occupational medicine.
- Establishing of government decisions, strategies related to occupational hygiene, occupational medicine and the assessments related to these;
- Scientific research, analysis, education, training, continued education, information, and organisation tasks related to the improvement of the health of worker and the prevention of diseases;
- Community legal harmonization related to the European Union Member State functions, as well as in the decision making processes of the European Union related to occupational hygiene, as well as;
- Resolution of tasks related to the implementation of national and European Union programmes with occupational health aspect;
- Activities of national and international organizations engaged in occupational health;
- Method-development tasks of tests applied in the area of occupational health and the quality control of the measuring activity;
The Department carries out the following as ancillary activities, within the scope of its basic activities:
- Specialist examination, re-examination and therapy of occupational patients;
- Civil aviation health medical fitness examinations;
- Fitness for job medical examinations for students;
- Operates specialist consultations for outpatients;
- Carries out administrative and other (authorization, evaluation, registration) tasks specified in separate regulations;
- Carries out data collection, data storage, data processing and analysis activities related to its scope of activities (e.g. register of occupational carcinogens and those exposed to occupational carcinogens, as well as maintaining the database of occupational diseases, cases of excessive exposure);
- When carrying out tasks related to its basic activity, it provides assistance to the regional labour inspectors by professional support;
- Operates and maintains accredited laboratories for certain specific activities related to its basic activity.
The Department may carry out entrepreneurial tasks for activities with no conflict of interest to its basic function (with intent to gain profit and assets, businesslike, for-fee).